The Technician’s role is to maintain and repair the estate of parking equipment so to maximize reliability and income. To liaise with customers and respond to customer care issues in and prompt and friendly manner.
Key tasks, duties and accountabilities of the post
1. Diagnose software faults using hand held programmer and re-programme the equipment by re-setting parameters when necessary.
2. Carry out checking and testing of the communication equipment including speakers and amplifiers to ensure correct functioning at specified intervals or when directed. Rectify minor faults established during the check-test including replacing speakers, local rewiring, replacing amplifiers and adjusting volume controls.
3. Carry out diagnostic and electrical testing including mechanical checks of car park equipment at specified intervals or when directed. Tests to include checking electrical power signals, loop signals and barrier raise/lower signals. Identify mechanical and electrical malfunctions established during tests and carry out repairs as required at the location of the machines. These include:
(a) Disconnect and remove the magnetic heads, realign and reconnect in situ.
(b) Disconnect, remove and replace transport units.
(c) Re-set or replace optical sensors and solder into place.
(d) Check and re-set loop detectors, loop connectors and switches and replace when necessary.
(e) Disconnect, remove and replace motors and gear boxes.
(f) Correct barrier levels.
(g) Clear transport jams and reset equipment.
(h) Clear accumulator jams, clean validators and replace when necessary including complete installation of new coin validators.
(i) Disconnect, remove and replace transport units including complete installation of new transport units.
(j) Disconnect, remove and replace other items of equipment as required, e.g. contactors, printed circuit boards, fascia boards, fuses, relays, switches, etc. To include installation of any new complete units within each machine.
(k) Disconnect and remove any defective localised wiring within any item of car park equipment and carry out the necessary re-wiring.
(l) Log all faults, irregularities and remedial actions taken in the incident book.
(m) Programme and set all validators, install parameters for new coinage.
(n) Maintain and repair Visi-link barriers system Daneshill House.
(o) Refurbish cash box assemblies.
(p) Provide bench testing platforms for routine repair and test of equipment prior to installation in the field.
4. Extract statistical data from the Flexi-Park Computer System (FCMS – active system for recording events) and from Park Stats (stored data of events). To also apply to any similar replacement systems in the future.
5. Carry out fault diagnosis and testing of Remote Data Concentrators (RDC’s) to ensure that the Local Area Network (the computerised communication system between control equipment, RDC’s and Central Control) is functioning correctly. To also include analysing messages and clearing queuing information held in the RDC and ensuring that times on the RDC’s and individual machines are synchronised.
6. Extract audit information as required from the central control computer using keyboard skills including Time Dump Audits (which includes statistical management information relating to number of transactions etc) as and when requested.
7. Investigate all other faults not specifically listed as and when they occur and advise the Parking Services Manager or his representative of the likely cause of the fault. Isolate
the fault and repair if possible or immediately refer to the Parking Services Manager.
8. Carry out repairs in the workshop including:
(a) Strip gear boxes to replace shafts, bearings, seals, gaskets etc.
(b) Replace motor brushes and reset speed of motor.
(c) Check and adjust brake units, replacing the coil as necessary.
(d) Check and set up transports, including replacing parts as required.
(e) Strip and clean accumulators, replace validators, set up and check ready for re- use.
(f) Repair barrier arms.
9. To undertake monitoring of parking restrictions (e.g. time limit not exceeded) within other parking areas managed or controlled by the company by carrying out a specified number of site visits for collection of information and placement of warning notices where appropriate. To include maintaining a log of all vehicle registration numbers collected during site visits including times noted and to compare such numbers with those numbers and times recorded previously in order to identify persistent offenders.
10. Carry out minor repairs and maintenance within car parks such as sign repairs, sign fixing and other minor metal and wood repairs (including forming, cutting within the workshop area and fixing on site).
11. Report faults to and liaise with maintenance engineers as and when required.
12. Monitor and respond to alarm situations registered on the central co